One-time project since the creation of IRIS Mundial
Gabon - Update 2020
The one-time project that was scheduled for November 2020 had to be postponed because of the Covid-19 pandemic. We hope to be able soon to carry out this mission which should take us to Gabon. We will be able to share the story of our wonderful adventure!
2018 - Saint-Louis, Senegal
From November 18 to December 1, 2018, IRIS Mundial volunteers went to Senegal to provide eye care to the community of St-Louis.
- WHAT: group mission in which a multidisciplinary team travel to provide a first experience in ophthalmic services (eye exams, pairs of glasses, medication and sometimes surgeries) to disadvantaged people
- DURATION: 1 to 2 weeks
- WHERE: in a developing country, more precisely in a region where no visual service is available
- OBJECTIVE: to examine between 1,800 and 2,000 patients
- BY WHOM: 25 volunteers; ophthalmologists, optometrists, opticians, medical doctors, nurses, logisticians and other professionals.
Preparation of a one-time project
A lot of upstream work has to be done to realize and organize a project of this scale. Usually, an IRIS Mundial representative must be sent on-site to carry out an exploratory mission and obtain the majority of the information needed. When all the conditions are met, four mission managers create a committee to establish timelines and start implementing the next steps:
- Send a call for applications to recruit the members of the team;
- Organize used glasses preparation workshops at the warehouse to build a bank of more than 6,000 pairs of glasses;
- Contact suppliers to obtain ocular and systemic medications, as well as surgical equipment if the project entails a surgical aspect;
- Prepare the mission trays with the pairs of glasses, but also the ophthalmological equipment, as well as all the logistical material necessary for the mission;
- Work with the local partner on procedures for obtaining official authorizations to realize the mission as well as the licence to practise for professionals, etc.;
- Create and provide an intercultural pre-departure training for volunteers;
2017 - Cañete, Peru
From October 21 to 29, 2017, IRIS Mundial volunteers went to the Ernesto Mispireta Valdivia polyclinic in Peru to provide eye care to the community of Canete.
2016 - Miragôane, Haiti
From April 26 to May 3, 2016, IRIS Mundial volunteers went to the Miragoâne Ste-Therese Hospital in Haiti to provide eye care to this community.
2013 - Gônave Island, Haiti
From January 9 to 16, 2013, IRIS Mundial volunteers went to the Island of Gonâve in Haiti to provide eye care to the community of Anse-à-Galets.
2009 - Labrousse, Haiti
From October 20 to 27, 2009, a team of 35 IRIS Mundial volunteers travelled to Labrousse and Miragoane on a four day mission.
2009 - Cajamarca, Peru
From May 4 to 15, 2009, IRIS Mundial volunteers went to Peru to provide eye care to the community of Cajamarca.
2008 - Cajamarca, Peru
This mission of IRIS Mundial in Peru took place from November 3 to 15, 2008 at the Cajamarca Regional Hospital, in a city nestled on the high plateaus of the Andes Cordillera in Northern Peru, at an altitude of 2700 meters.
2007 - Caraz, Peru
35 Canadian volunteers took part in a humanitarian campaign in Caraz in the Ancash region of Peru (central Andean zone), May 2 to 6, 2007.
2006 - Kétou, Benin
For the second time, a team of IRIS Mundial volunteers took off for Benin, where they stayed from January 8 to 22, 2006.
2006 - Marcará and Huaras, Peru
From May 1 to 13, 2006, volunteers from IRIS Mundial worked alongside members of the Independencia-Huaraz Rotary Club in order to conduct the sixth IRIS Mundial ophthalmology campaign in Peru.
2005 - Huari, Peru
From May 23 to June 5, 2005, IRIS Mundial volunteers went to Peru to provide eye care to the community of Huari.
Projects in 2005
Monastery of Menri, India
Projects in 2004
Projects in 2003
Projects in 2002
- Ajacuba-Tlaxcoapan, Mexico
Projects in 2001
- Huaraz, Peru